Friday, July 24, 2009

Byron Bay Trip

On Wednesday I woke up early to be at the bus stop at 8 so we could depart on the orientation trip to Byron Bay. On the way there we stopped a at wildlife sanctuary and got to see koalas, crocodiles, lots of birds and got to pet kangaroos.


We then got back on the bus and headed to Byron. We unloaded our stuff at the hostel where we were staying, relaxed on the beach for a bit, then set off on a hike to the lighthouse on the point. The point is the most easterly point in Australia and the lighthouse is the oldest in the southern hemisphere. The hike was longer than expected and it didn’t help that most of us were in flip-flops, but the views from the top made it worth it.

After many photos and some ice cream we headed back to the hostel. Later we went out to a bar/ restaurant for dinner and some drinks but we were all still very tired from the night before and traveling we went back to the hostel to get some sleep fairly early. The next day we woke up early to go sea kayaking at 8 am. The water was pretty choppy so it was pretty hard to get out through the waves. I was glad I was experienced with kayaking in the ocean because the other person in my boat was Sami, a girl from England who had only been in the ocean a few times and never set foot in a kayak. I ended up doing most of the paddling cause she got tired but I didn’t mind cause it was lots of fun, especially on the way in when we could catch waves. After kayaking we went back to the hostel, ate some lunch and lay on the beach for a few hours, then we walked around town for a while. That night there was a barbeque at the hostel, which I thought was delicious and also lots of fun. They had a guy playing some songs on guitar and a fire, which created a fun atmosphere. The next morning we hung out the on then beach until we had surfing at 2:30. It was very windy out so I was freezing cold before I even got in the water and once I got in a was really wishing I had brought my wetsuit from home, but I did manage to get a few waves before I got too cold. After that we took a bus back to Gold Coast and I just hung out in the apartment and got to bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment