Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Surf Trip Day 7,8,9

Day 7

I woke up to a kangaroo right outside our camp with her joey in the pouch. I took some pictures and went to check the beach, not much swell. When I came back she was in our camp sniffing around, the boys woke up and saw her and then I scared her away.

We made some breakfast consisting of cereal, sausage and eggs. Then went for a surf on Kylie's beach, it really small but fun and a cool spot next to the rocks.

Packed up camp in the hot sun and headed to sand bar. The beach was beautiful but there was no swell so continued on to seal rocks/ treachery beach. It was small at treachery but breaking really nice with offshore wind. We all went out for a long session till the sunset. I got some really good waves. A dolphin was swimming around and riding waves with us which was really cool. We then drove down the road a bit to the campsite. There was a fire ban so we just sat around, made food had some beers and went to bed pretty early.

Day 8

I woke up the next morning to clouds and no surf, so i hiked around the headlands near the beach. We had some cereal then drove to treachery to check the surf, where it was also flat. Packed up and headed to Eagles Nest, where there was still no surf. Some dark clouds were coming in so we decided to cut our losses and head to Sydney.

Great climbing trees we found before leaving.

After a 3 hour drive we made it to Sammy’s house in Manly Beach. After showering and watching some surf movies, we had a delicious dinner with his family. We all watched some tv before heading to bed. Woke up early the next morning at surfed at manly beach. It was 3-4 ft semi off shore wind. It was really crowded but I was really nice to finally surf some bigger swell and I got some great waves. We went back to Sammy’s house, hung out for a while till it was time to go downtown for this family lunch. We went to this Indonesian restaurant called the Malay. Got delicious drinks called Caipiroska (Fresh lime crushed with palm sugar, shaken with Skyy Vodka) then the meal started off with prawn and chicken rolls followed by grilled beef and chicken on sticks with spicy sauce, then this incredible bread that was like a pancake and finally the main course of beef or chicken in a curie sauce with rice, noodles and greens.

It was all incredibility good and we were all feeling good after the drinks. We then went back to Sammy’s house and hung out with his sister Jade and her boyfriend Huge for a while. Will and I packed up our stuff, thanked Sammy and his family for their generous hospitality and headed down to Wollongong.

Day 9

The next day I woke early hoping to have a surf before starting my 12 hour drive back to the Goldie but the waves weren’t good so I hit the road around 9. It was rainy and overcast the whole day which was good because I didn’t need to have to windows down so I could actually hear the book on tape I was listening to, which made the trip go by very fast. I made it back to my apartment at around 8:30 and went to sleep soon after.

Sydney Harbor Tunnel

The dog in the bed of this truck did not look happy

Overall it was in awesome trip. We didn’t get the great waves we were hoping for but getting out seeing/ exploring Australia was great. One thing that I noticed was how less populated the coast of Australia is compared to the U.S. Many of the places we went, there was not much around besides the campsites and miles of empty beach, something that I think is hard to find on the east coast of the U.S. I also like how there is not really any beach front property, so instead of looking at houses when your in the water, like a lot of places in the U.S. your looking at dunes and tress which makes you feel much more out in nature. I want to thank Will and Sammy for and awesome trip and for not killing each other when no surf frustration kicked in. Also Gus and Brookes for joining us and making the trip more fun. The Penny family for their great hospitably and finally my awesome parents who helped make all this possible for me.

Till next time

-Marsh-

No comments:

Post a Comment